Technology has us hooked, with almost 98% of the age group between 18 and 29 using the internet, its influence cannot be shunned. Of this 98 percent of people, most of them who have internet access on their mobile phones prefer their mobile devices to do their web browsing over a laptop. With the aid of technology, the number of applications they can do with a simple laptop in class is a game changer. Let us look at some of the many advantages that integrating technology into classrooms can bring in helping students to learn and understand better.
- Things like taking course notes have taken a turn for the better. Students no longer need to carry textbooks for every topic. They can now study topics and take notes with the help of Ebooks. Students can carry Ebooks on any topic be it atomic structure or eutrophication all on the same digital platform.
- In case someone has a doubt on any topic, they can just surf the net right then and come up with a good explanation of the topic.
- The internet also brings the people of the world closer. Sharing information has become at large as people can share information through social media, email and even cloud space.
- With the advancements in semiconductor and nanotechnology happening day by day, the size of electronic devices is also coming down. Students will be able to carry more digital content with little physical material. A simple tablet device can be used to carry the information of a whole 4-year course unlike having to carry 6 sets of a textbook for each semester.
Even Though technology offers a large number of advantages, there are a certain set of negative effects it brings to a student’s learning experience. Some of them are:
- Distraction: We are an easily distracted species. With the number of things on the internet and the number of people working behind them to make them attractive, it’s not entirely your fault that you are easily distracted.
- Cheating: With global connectivity brings forth the problem of cheating through the internet. Students performing a test through digital means would resort to the internet to find answers to the test.
- There was once a comic incident wherein a teacher texted all her students in class this message – “Dear students, I know when you’re texting in class. Seriously, no one just looks down at their crotch and smiles”
There are plenty more advantages and disadvantages of technology that we haven’t discussed that can change the way students learn. But if we can overcome its shortcomings, the advantages will outweigh the disadvantages by a far. To know more about how technology can help you to learn better check out our physics and chemistry discussion pages.